Tuesday 20 April 2010

Survivor's guide: day 43

I finally finished the last cupcake Laura sent.  only took me forever to eat 3.

The volcano in iceland seems to have settled down a bit.  At least enough to let flights to continue on their merry way.  Thank goodness for that.  It is now, so near the end of this horrible journey, that I feel like I may crack.  The strain on me seems a bit much.  I don't know why now, with less than a week to go.  Perhaps it is because of the excitement and it is not coming nearly fast enough.  I wish I had time to take off with Laura for the rest of the week and not worry about school.  Sadly I can't.  That is the one thing I really miss about undergrad.  If I needed to (or really wanted to in a case like the one Laura and I will be facing in about a week) I could take time off and keep running with the work without being buried or forced to take classes over again.  No room for that now.  I am forced to keep running, even if I'm about to crash and burn.  No time is planned in to let people get sick and recover.  Of all the places you would think that sort of thing would be taken into consideration they would have done that at a health professional school.

Regardless I am going to enjoy my time with my wife all the more.  She is going to be sick of me.  I may be getting a bit clingy.

So with all the tests done we know a lot of things that aren't the cause of Laura's phantom pain.  The good thing about the list is that we have eliminated some scary pain causers.  Like cancer.  Laura and I both agree it is better to suffer from some mystery pain than to suffer pain from a terminal disease.  Pain you can live through or with (most of the time) death is a bit harder to survive.  Of course being of the faith Laura and I both are death is merely a separation for a time from loved ones here, a separation that is not permanent.  Fortunately the separation Laura and I are currently dealing with is drawing to the end.  Thank goodness.

43 days down, 6 left

2 comments:

Laura said...

Erm, phantom pain? That's maybe not the best word choice.

I wish we could have a few days together too but we both have school and it'll just be the best to be together again. I can't wait :)

Stuart said...

True enough I suppose I could have found a better choice of words but it really is what you are going through. Pain with a mysterious source. Phantasmic!