Thursday 28 January 2010

What were they thinking...

So today I saw an ad for the newest addition to the macitosh/apple line.  I think it is a great is idea.  I like the looks of it and may even consider purchasing one because of how useful it would be.  It is a tablet computer that, depending on how much cash you want to fork over, can do a plethora of things.  I'd like it to be known that I am a PC guy and I am really excited about Mac's new computer.  The cool thing is there cheapest model is $500 dollars and is touch screen.  Not much more expensive than the iPhone and has more features.  I think it may blow Amazon's kindle right out of the water.  You can read books on it and for a couple of hundred dollars more than the kindle, can surf the net, take notes, download apps, etc.  I really like the product.  I really have to wonder what the heck they were thinking.

It's no surprise that the letter I would end up in the name as the first letter.  We kind of expect it.  I don't know why it crept into their naming scheme but it has and it stick, so be it.  The problem is foresight.  You don't make a product and stick I in front of it and Kill at the end. iKill would not be a very popular computer in my opinion.  We can also eliminate such things like iHate, iDye, iWish, or any other bad combinations.  And as seen with the iPhone and iPod other manufactures are taking advantage of the i- naming scheme.  Like the iDock, speakers for the iPod, or iVibe, a massager that is regulated by music on your iPod.  Now MadTV saw the humor in this (I haven't seen the skit but I did find it) about two years ago and created a skit using the name of the new product just released.  Apple's new tablet computer is called iPad.  Yes it does sound like a feminine product that can connect to your iPod (which is what the MadTV skit is about).

Why on earth would you name your product like a product that is associated by both genders as a bad time of the month?  What is wrong with the name iTab?  or iWrite?  What about iAm-A-really-handy-portable-computer-that-is-super-light-weight-with-multilateral-functionality?  Granted that last one is a mouth full but it is infinity better than the name iPad.  Whoever is in charge of coming up with names needs to be fired.  If it is a committee of people the whole group needs to go, even the ones against the name because they weren't competent enough to get the idiots for the name to see how bad it was going to be.

That being said I really do like what it claims it can do and I am seriously considering purchasing one.  I think it would be very useful for doctor's offices to eliminate paper work.  If the doc needed case history, instead of a file he has the tablet computer.  Oh well maybe after this naming shenanigans the i will slowly be pushed out of the naming process, but probably not.

0 comments: