Tuesday 19 January 2010

Cops are funny...

So today on my way to school I had a cop try and intimidate me.  At least that is the only explanation I can come up with for his behavior.  I'm driving along and a light turns yellow so I stop and next to me in the other lane is a cop car.  I want to say that he pulled up after I stopped but I can't be 100% positive.  Regardless I look over to see who my fellow commuter is and I make eye contact with him.  He had kind of a stern look on his face, I felt like I had done something wrong which I hadn't.  If anything the cop should have gone after the car that barely slipped past the yellow-red light that I was following.  I broke eye contact and desperately ignored the impulse to look back over at the cop to see what he was doing.  After what felt like an eternity dragging its feet passed the light turned green and I was sure that was going to be the end of my cop buddy.

Alas I was mistaken and instead of him speeding away as I had hoped he would, He stayed with me.  In fact he was going slightly under the speed limit.  He was deliberately messing with my head.  I drove like I normally do which means I was obeying the traffic laws and the guy was still pacing me.  It was weird.  We cam to another light and I was sure that he would pass on through and that would be the end of it but again I was wrong.  Instead as I stopped at the light he stopped with his front bumper and the midway point of my car.  What the heck was he doing this for?  I don't speed, I rarely even go through a yellow light.  My car is in working order.  Why me?  Why the law abiding individual instead of the other speedsters around me?  I sat wondering what was going on waiting for the green and wondering what the cop would do after the green light.  Well the light turned green and the cop left me in the dust.  In fact he was one of those speedsters.  Why he thought I deserved that treatment I have absolutely no idea.

I've been told this behavior was typical for the police in the area.  I really hope not.  Then again I also saw a cop flick on his lights so he didn't have to wait at a red light.  I've seen that a couple of times around here actually.  I never saw that at home, doesn't mean it didn't happen of course but I've defiantly seen it happen here a few times.

While I had a cop try and intimidate me I do understand they aren't all like that but I don't like it.  Oh well.  I do like cops.  I have a few buddies that are headed that direction career wise.

0 comments: