Tuesday 12 January 2010

Dreaming of home...

I feel fortunate enough to be able to have another place I call home.  Not only does home refer to the US, but for me Scotland.  I sort of adopted it.  My wife is from there and the first time I flew over there I fell in love with Scotland.  There is a song about leaving one's heart in San Fransisco, I left mine in Scotland.  At least a part of my heart anyway.  I honestly cannot describe, or even give reason to the feelings I have for the place but I truly love the place.  The fresh air, the culture, the people, the food.  The feeling is so tangible for me I can literally feel it in the air the moment I step off the plane.  Though my wife would probably disagree I think I get just as excited to visit Scotland as she does.  I've tried telling her that Scotland is as much my home as it is her's, but she claims it on seniority rights having lived there for 19 years of her life.

It is my plan and hope that as soon as I get my business up and running that we'll be able to visit at least once a year.  All my in-laws are in Scotland and I do truly miss them.  My wife and I had the pleasure of hosting Christmas for one of her older brother's and his girlfriend.  We didn't realize who much we would miss them until after they left.  My wife looks forward to the day where we can get most of her family over for Christmas.  It would actually be a cheap visit for most of them seeing as the American dollar is so weak in comparison.

Of course the inspiration of this posting comes from a dream I had last night.  The wife and I were getting ready to visit Scotland.  It was the final stages of of packing as well.  I know this because we were gather all our loose change and paper money to have it changed into pounds (British money) at the airport.  We actually had quiet a bit of change from there as well. about 25 pounds worth.  Sadly I awoke to no such vacation and a longing to once again go "home."  Currently it is covered in snow.  I saw a satellite image of it and it blended in with the clouds.  Sadly we won't have the means to get to Scotland anytime too soon but when we do go I think it is time for another summer visit.  Or perhaps spring as I have never been there in the spring time...

1 comments:

Laura said...

Ooft! I work so hard not to be homesick and then you do this. Yeowza. I look forward to going back too. There's still lots of places for me to show you - and I don't think you really understand my homesickness, just saying ;)