Tuesday 9 February 2010

The mis-fortunate affair of the power blender

So yesterday my wife and had to deal with the death, or perhaps severe injury only exploratory surgery will tell, of a blender.  I'm sure most of you have seen the bullet power blender or such.  We had one from JcPennys.  I got it as a gift.  I think it was a terribly useful thing.  Instead of making a smoothy in a blender and then using a cup just blend it in the cup.  Also, if you can believe what is on the cup, you could grind anything.  It spoke of grinding coffee beans.  I don't know if it would do that or not, I don't drink coffee, but it dies trying to chop an onion.  Onions are not as hard as coffee beans.  I think it made a total of six fruit smoothies then tried to attempt to chop the onion before being severely injured.

It was loud every time we used it and smelled of hot plastic.  When we first opened it the small cup had shattered.  From what I can tell the motor was loose in the case so when ever we used it the metal shaft spun so fast it melted the plastic.  I think yesterday it was enough and the interface plate (you know the bit that has teeth that attaches to the blade, what is that called? a gear?) started eating into the plastic.  I think the wound may have been fatal.  I'll tear the thing apart tonight but the prognosis is not good.

So I've noticed a really bad habit drivers have around here.  I know it happens else where as well but it happens a lot around here.  The traffic lights are kind of screwy.  You'll get on green and half a block ahead is a red. Instead of waiting at behind the line when it is green the entire intersection gets filled.  Sometimes it works out but during rush hour it is a no go.  Eventually the green turns to red and the other direction gets a green but no one can go because of the numpties in the middle of the intersection.  The kicker is that almost everyone does it.  I thought it was funny when I heard someone honking there hour at the people in the middle of the intersection like that was going to do anything.  I do have a way to solve the problem, in fact it will solve another problem as well.  At every intersection a giant trap door should be installed.  When the lights turn red the trap door opens taking in all the intersection cloggers.  On top of that the people trying to run the red would also get sucked in.  I do realize that cars may be ruined, and injuries may ensue but eventually people will learn their lesson.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Those were some delish smoothies though, no?

Lindsay said...

HAHAHAHA yes... TRAP DOOR. PuhLEASE!!!