Sunday 7 February 2010

Hybrid Cars

On my drive to school the other day I saw several hybrid vehicles.  Not surprising in CA I know but I couldn't help wonder what the point is.  I know the hype is they are more fuel efficient (I've seen some data suggesting otherwise) and they have lower CO2 emission. They are expensive and use a rare metal for their batteries and they still use fuel.

These cars aren't going to free us from dependence on oil.  They aren't a midpoint to the next fossil fuel free vehicle, not as far as I can tell.  The only thing I could see happening is removing the fuel portion from the car and going pure electric.  Problem with electric cars is they have no horsepower in comparison.  To get the same kind of horse power from an electric motor that you combustion engine gives you would have to have a massive electric motor.  Not very conducive in my opinion trying to move your car along with the huge engine.

I think it would be grand if we could come up with a instantaneous transport system.  Save on all that travel time.  Going to appointments and such would be easy.  For instance say you have a doctors appointment.  Most of us waste time waiting to be called back reading out of date magazines or trying to find the hidden objects in the children's puzzles.  With the quantum transporter (my name for the instant teleportation devices I am rambling on about) you can sign into the doctors office online, wait in the comfort of your own home until you receive a message telling the doc is ready for you and then you can beam yourself into his office ready to go.  Of course in my mind it uses a lot of electricity so we need to come up with fusion power or the bill you will have to pay to use the thing would be outrageous.

0 comments: