Monday 29 December 2008

Exploring scotland

Emma and Niels have returned to their home.  It was a lot of fun having them here at Christmas with the family in Scotland.  We've been touring Scotland and it's been a lot of fun.  We visitied Drum castle.  The grounds were open but the castle itself wasn't.  It was really bueatiful.  The castle was small compared to the others I've seen.  But it had a seperate church on the grounds as opposed to being built in the castle.  That was really neat to see.


Yesterday we drove around edzel.  We were going to stop by the castle but it looks as if it is currently under going rennovations as the moment and we weren't even able to get to the grounds. 

We went to shakin' (pronounced "shack-in" for you american readers) brig which was actually one of the most stable suspension bridges I have been on, and I've been on quite a few.  Laura tells me it was a lot more stable than she remebered it to be.  We stopped by another bridge (the name of which I missed) but it was off limits due to the saftey threat it imposed.  



We got some lovely pictures of the gorge though.  We stopped at the catterthuns for a picnik and enjoyed the veiw.  It was a lot of fun.













While we were at the shakin' brig we made fire.  My father-in-law found his flint and showed us how to use it to make fire.  He also happened to have birtch bark on him, which is really good for starting fires, which we used to start our fires.  











It took me a while but I finally got it, ended up scuffing one of my knuckles though which surprisingly is quite bothersome for such a small wound.  I've learned from that experience two things: one, I now can teach any cavemen I run across how to make fire and Two, Laura is better at it then I am :S.  I guess that makes her designated firestarter...



2 comments:

Laura said...

I totally kicked your trash at the fire starting. It must be in my blood.
I'm glad you're having fun, lovie.

Danielle said...

Laura looks a little too excited to have created fire...You might want to keep her away from matches :P