Monday 30 March 2009

Ode to the earbuds

Ahh ear buds.  Why have large goofy looking ear phones when you can pump the music straight into the ear canal?  The benefits of ear buds are numberless.  My favorite is the accelerated hearing loss program.  Crank the things up full blast and you too can be deaf by the ripe old age of 35.  Who really needs to be able to hear after that age anyways right?  


Why is it people feel the need to crank the music all the way up on those tiny things?  Don't they realize how harmful that is.  This all comes from what I saw today.  I was studying in a near empty room and this girl walks in.  She sits as far away from me as possible with ear buds in her ears and I can hear her music almost perfectly.  I can't make out the words but when it comes to the songs I'm familiar with I could sing along.  The room was a large room as well.  That is way too loud.  I could almost hear the ear cells responsible for hear bursting out of existence.  That's it, they aren't coming back.  Maybe its the new cool thing to do.  Maybe hearing aids became fashionable while I was busy trying to study.  Oh well, at least I'll still be able to hear a mosquito when I'm 70 :P!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Haha I've noticed that as well. I don't really understand the need to have your music that loud anyway. Music is fine and great. In fact, I love it!! But I almost wonder if sometimes it's just another thing we let take over our lives. My ASL teacher, who was deaf herself, asked us once why hearing people need to listen to music all the time: in the car, walking from place to place, in the morning while you're getting ready, etc. I really couldn't think of an answer. Anyway, it got me thinking.

emma said...

Congrats on your graduation from uni! As a friend said to me.. the worlds your lobster! ;p